Blogs > etc etc

Notes, comments and observations from the Lifestyle and Entertainment desk by Lifestyle Editor Aixa Torregrosa-Vazquez.

Monday, May 24, 2010

If you are Puerto Rican, you need a new birth certificate

According to a new law (Law 191 of 2009) enacted by the Puerto Rican goverment, all Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010, will be invalidated.
To learn how to process your new birth certificate ...
Go to and click on the blue bar, it will take you to a "New Birth Certificate" information page and the application form. (Or go to
According to the website, you do not need to rush to get a new birth certificate unless you need it right away for official purposes.
And, "Those Puerto Rican-born living in the states will be able to request and receive their new birth certificates through a simple process by mail. The fee is $5, but will be waived for people over 60 and veterans."

Personally, I think, you may not need it right away, but you should secure one as soon as you can. For the same reasons they want to invalidate the "old" certificates, for your protection.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home